Offices Throughout Texas, Including Fort Worth & Dallas. We Will Come to You!

Offices Throughout Texas, Including Houston & Galveston. We Will Come to You!

Request Your Free Consultation
Get Started Right Away! Schedule your first consultation with the firm now.
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.
    • The submission of this website form does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Unless a formal relationship has been established in writing, the information presented throughout this site, and any response to this web inquiry, either verbal or in writing, should be considered for informational purposes only, and any information provided to the firm should not be viewed as privileged or confidential.

Can Contractors Receive Reimbursement for Lost Wages After an Accident?

Can Contractors Receive Reimbursement for Lost Wages After an Accident?

Texas has a mandatory personal injury protection (PIP) auto insurance requirement. The mandatory minimum coverage that insurance companies must provide is $2,500 per accident, although individuals can choose to purchase more or choose to waive their right to PIP coverage.

PIP insurance can include compensation for lost wages, but not always. Simply put, lost wages are financial damages suffered as a result of time taken off work to recover from injuries. In the state of Texas, employees may be able to recover 80% of the total lost wages resulting from an accident.

PIP covers medical bills and up to 80% of lost wages. PIP insurance does not cover drivers or passengers not in your vehicle at the time of the accident. PIP is something your insurance provider offers to you, family members, and anyone else inside your vehicle at the time of the accident, regardless of which party was at-fault for the accident.

How Employment Classification Affects Lost Wage Claims

One problem that people might run into if they are involved in an accident is lost wage coverage under "independent contractor" status. Because independent contractors are not classified as regular employees, insurance companies may reject lost wage claims under PIP.

The Texas Department of Insurance makes no differentiation between independent contractors and regular employees concerning lost wages through PIP insurance. If you have not waived your right to PIP insurance, then you can be compensated for medical expenses and lost wages up to the amount included in your policy.

What Happens if the Other Party Has Accepted Full Responsibility?

If the other driver's insurance company informed you that they accept full responsibility for the accident, then they should pay costs associated with the following damages:

  • Vehicle damage repair or replacement
  • Cost of renting a vehicle while yours is being repaired
  • Accident-related medical bills
  • Lost wages resulting from an accident-induced injury
  • Pain and suffering (emotional damage)

What might happen in this situation is that the at-fault driver may have PIP, but at a limit less than your total lost wages. For example, you may be out $5,000 in lost wages, but the other driver only carries the minimum PIP of $2,500. What you can do is file a claim with your own insurance company to make up the difference. So, in this scenario, you could receive $2,500 from the at-fault party's insurance and file a claim with your insurance company for the difference of $2,500.

Get Sound Legal Advice from The Daspit Law Firm

It is against the law for Texas insurance companies to delay or deny payment to you in order to manipulate you to sign a settlement release. Before you sign anything or agree to a settlement, contact a Houston personal injury attorney at The Daspit Law Firm. Initial case reviews are provided free of charge.

Call (713) 364-0915 today to speak with Houston car accident lawyer John Daspit about your auto accident claim for lost wages.